Saturday, June 9, 2012

June 4, 2012

Interesting that dad is starting off road racing again. I was under the impression that he was over that because it was too expensive - I guess me not being there is giving you all sorts of money to just throw around. I hope you don't go too crazy though because when I get back I have to make up 2 years.

I would have imagined that the funeral of Martha was really quite impressive because of all that she has done in helping others. I can only imagine how much family history work that she has done and the amount of people that she has sent to the temple.

One thing that I really miss about being here in Northern Chile that is different from the MTC is that I have no access to any temple to go to. Elder López was reading a journal entry of when his mom was in the mission and she said in one letter that she was able to go to the temple 5 times in one week.

That is great that your project (mom's work) got approved. It sounds like it is quite a big deal to be over such a large time span. I know that you will do what you are required to do, but remember the words of the last general conference when it was said that we may grow in regular day to day life, but we are able to grow much faster through our challenges as long as we are able to focus our priorities on what will truly make a difference.

The only real problems that I am having with my clothing is that the back two loops on one of my pairs of pants are getting worn out by my backpack and my suit pants are fading really fast above the knees.

I told Elder López about the nice little sleep-in that Austin (Oviatt) got and Elder López had a similar thought as me, that it was nice of his parents to  just about give him a heart attack before he left on his mission. (Austin's flight was cancelled so his parent's let him sleep. Austin was a little panicked when he woke up and it was bright outside already. He caught a later flight and all was well.) But that is good that he was able to get there fine all things considered.

You can tell Ernest that I'm finding Spanish a little harder than expected as well.

That is a really good quote you sent and I think it applies even more to missionary work than to regular service. ("To the world you may be one person, but to one person, you may be the world. ~ Mark Nolan)

I forgot to put a strange cultural fact of the week last email, but here is one: When there are car crashes or major accidents the people build small shrines that look like little concrete doghouses. They burn candles in them and put images of the saints and the Virgin Mary in them. Apparently it is only here in Chile that they do that.

Y ahora Ustedes quieren saber un poco mas sobre mis investigadores y yo no escribí algo en español en un poco de tiempo, Entonces voy a escribir un poco mas ahora. Ésta semana, como las semanas anteriores, buscábamos para encontrar mas personas para enseñar pero ésta semana fue un poco diferente porque recibimos una referencia super buena. Él se llama Eduardo y es muy receptivo a nuestro mensaje. También tiene una palola (girlfriend-Chilean word) quien quiere ir al templo con Él. Estoy animado para trabajar con Él porque ya tiene experiencias cuando pueda sentir el Espíritu en su vida.

Y también ésta semana ellos se cambiaron el Obispo de nuestro barrio y estamos super animado para trabajar con él porque tiene mucho animo para hacer la obra misional y para trabajar con los miembros y que sus consejeros son capos (studs-chilean) también. ésta experiencia va a estar un buen oportunidad para aprender cosas nuevas cuando trabajamos con nuestro obispo nuevo. Estoy interesado a ver la diferencia en la participación de los miembros y si hay un cambio con ellos.

(Google Translation: And now you want to know a little more about my investigators and I did not write anything in Spanish in a little while, so I'll write a bit more now. This week as previous weeks, we wanted to find more people to teach. This week was a little different because we got a super good reference. His name is Eduardo and is very receptive to our message. He also has a Palola (girlfriend-Chilean word) who wants to go to temple with him. I am encouraged to work with him because he already has had the experience when you can feel the Spirit in your life.


This week they changed the bishop of our ward.  We are super encouraged to work with him because he gives much encouragement to do missionary work and to work with members and their leaders as well. This experience is going to be a good opportunity to learn new things as we work with our new bishop. I am interested to see the difference in the participation of members and if there is a change with them.)


Hasta una semana,

Con cariño,
Jord.

No comments:

Post a Comment