Thursday, January 24, 2013

January 21, 2013


I have to tell you that yesterday it was completely overcast in our sector for the whole day and it was so awesome. We had an entire day of what I would call perfect temperatures. The other little town that is closer to the mountains actually got rain in their sector, so that was cool for them.

We had kind of a tough week as both Ivo and another investigator both went on vacations until March, but we are trying to get new people to teach.

So that you know my companion is from AsunciĆ³n, Paraguay.

I am honestly finding that I am doing more work in the branch at this point to help things move along than I am doing as a district leader. Maybe it is just the way they have been doing district meetings here, but I feel like most of the work I do is just making phone calls, but that's fine with me.

That is so cool that you were able to get that job. I am actually really excited for you. I was reading the Liahona this week and I found a talk that I really like about how to become a leader.  One of the things it says is don't be afraid to fail. Just jump into it, work hard and soak it all up. You´ll do great.

I did start to do the Ab Ripper (abdominal workout from P90X that we sent) and have been doing it every other day so as not to just die and also because that is how often they recommend doing the work out. It hurts and I don't really want to do it, but I know that it is a good thing for me because I seem to only have muscles in my lower legs.

The spider that I killed in the pension during the last recording was the kind I told you about during the Christmas phone call. They can kill you in like 45 minutes if it bites you. They are pretty much everywhere in Chile, except some places where they die from the altitude.

The pension is warm which is nice. The houses here have no insulation so it depends a lot on which direction your house faces, what it is made out of, how it fits between your neighboors houses and some other stuff. It gets a little cold by morning, but not that bad. The nice thing is that Diego is not really a cold place, even at night, so it's nice in that regard.

I uploaded another recording so you can check that out.

Love you,
Jord

Summary of audio clip...

This was the first week of transfers. Elder Rojas and I get along really well although sometimes I have no idea how he thinks, but that's ok. It was a bit of a difficult week as many people are on vacation and we were mostly working to get lessons each day and it can be challenging to get into homes. On the one hand it went slow, but on the other hand it went by fast as we were working hard. We did find lots of new people as we did lots of contacting. My last companion, Elder Velasquez, didn't like to knock on doors at all so this was good. We did the equivalent of about 2-3 weeks of my previous transfer.

We found a group of young kids - we're not sure how that will work out, but we'll see. We also found an older man who was very receptive, but we don't know if he'll be able to attend church. He can walk, but has one leg that is bad and he's going blind. We also contacted another man and his friend - Orlando and Weeley. Orlando knows a lot about the Bible and how we should live. Weeley seems to just be sitting in currently. The things we have talked about so far make sense to Orlando and fit in with his knowledge of the Bible. The more I read the Bible, the more I recognize how they fit together. We are going back this week. It was interesting how we came to teach him - Elder Velasquez and I met them a few ago, but the address they gave was a business, when we went there. We thought they had given us the wrong address. Then Elder Rojas and I got them as a referral. We still thought it was a business address, but went by again and noticed 2 doors which looked like 1 to the business and 1 to a home. I saw someone come out of the home so we knocked on that door and they were there. That was a huge mistake, but it's all worked out now.

Most of our less actives are out of town and there's only a few members so we aren't getting many appointments in that area. We'll continue to contact and look for investigators this week. It makes it a little harder as we have a variable number of appointments. We're going to try to do a bit better this week. We'll set our goals a little higher and get 'er done!

My district is doing really good this week, so I'm super happy for them. They had 4 people in church this week.

The neighbor asked us to put the garbage out so they could pick it up tomorrow. I didn't think that was a good idea because the dogs would get in it, but he said it would be fine. We came home for lunch and the dogs had destroyed the garbage bin so we had to clean up a big mess - that sucked.

I also cleaned the toilet in our pension this week. It's weird, but the toilets in the pensions always have crusty stuff in the bottom - maybe due to minerals or hard water. I scrapped it all out with a knife, not one we cook with, and it looks much better now.

That's been our week... yawn... I'm really tired so I'm going to bed.

Love you guys,
Jord

No comments:

Post a Comment