Wednesday, August 21, 2013

August 19, 2013

I think this will be a bit of a short recording, but here goes! I don't know if I told you, but last Monday we didn't have any water in the Pension and that carried into Tuesday. On Tuesday we had to wash our hair but we only had 1.5 L juice bottles filled with water from when the sister missionaries were here so we had to wash our hair and shave with water from a bottle. It wasn't too bad... a little annoying... but I can honestly say I've never washed my hair with so little water. It was quite impressive.

This week we had a Family Home Evening with one family. The lady has been a member since last October - she invited her eldest daughter and her boyfriend, her 2 youngest daughters and then we were there. She also has a son but he wasn't home. They're all members except the boyfriend although the eldest daughter isn't active and not very keen on the church so we shared a lesson that wasn't too serious, but meaningful. Then we played a game - it was just a fun evening. I'm not sure what to say about it, but it was really fun. I really enjoyed it.

On Saturday we went to one of the member's homes - Armano Guillermo. We are trying to prepare a Jeopardy game for the missionaries that is quite hard, with random facts from the Bible and stuff that most people wouldn't know, but would probably have to look up. So we took the game to his house to see what he thought and test out our questions. He got almost all of them - 20 out of 23! Lots of these I wouldn't have a clue and he got most of them... I was amazed! There were questions like... Where was Abraham buried? What was his grandfather's name? Where did Soloman build the temple? He got most of them. He said it was because he was a Sunday School teacher for about 5 years. If that's the case, I want to be a Sunday School teacher for 5 years. I would love that. After that we ate with Guillermo which was really  ood.

On Sunday we ate with President Castio whose the 1st or 2nd counselor in the Stake Presidency along with his wife and some other guy. We ate burritos and I ate about 6. I'm not kidding, I ate so much food because it was so good. Hmmmm....

Throughout the week we've been working with Lorenza, Jocelyn's grandmother and we put a baptismal date with her. So, this Saturday she's going to get baptized and we're so happy. Also, her son had a dream, which seems to be quite common here. He dreamed he was sitting on a beach and saw a row boat coming with 2 people in it and they came ashore. They walked over and said hello and then said, Hey, what are those on the ground?" Some explanation... in Spanish there are 2 words for fish - 1 means a fish that are swimming in the ocean and the other is a fish that is caught and is dead. So he said those are live fish, but the people said no, those are dead fish. Then they said we don't talk about the Past, we talk about the Present and the Future. Then he woke up and that was his dream. Then he said he couldn't get back to sleep and was just sitting in his bed and couldn't sleep anymore. Then he started thinking and what came to his mind was about prophets and that they don't really speak about the past, they speak about the Present and the Future. So, if I'm so willing to believe there were prophets in the past, why can't I believe that there are prophets now and will be in the future. What a fantastic thought! So, now he believes in the Book of Mormon and he believes about Joseph Smith and he said next week he's going to go to church. What an amazing experience from such a simple thing! That's what happened.

On an unrelated note, I figured out Abraham was born about 2001 BC - that's an interesting side note for you.

I've run out of things to say so I'll wrap this up. I'll talk to you in a week.
Caio!

No comments:

Post a Comment